Saturday, January 11, 2014

Livin' Like a Priest / Dip in the River Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? - Pastors, The Priesthood, and Going "All In." - Part 3


Livin' Like a Priest.


In Part 2 of this topic, I explained how as believers we ARE the Priesthood.

Since Jesus is our Mediator, and he made the ultimate sacrifice, our offerings to the Lord are no longer of blood but how we live our lives. There is an expectation for us to live as a holy nation, set apart, looking to God for guidance. 


1 Peter 2:9-10
9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

As 'priests' we can go before God directly to repent for our sins, make requests, and to offer praise for His mercy.  

We are not only priests, but ministers as well.

Having a ministry is not exclusive to pastors. The word minister means "servant or attendant."  One way to say it is 'attending to needs of others.' This is how we show others the mercy given to us. It is another way to offer praise and worship to the Lord. Although not everyone will pastor a church we are all given gifts, all of us, suited to help us in our ministry to serve God and help people.


Dip in the river anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Returning to the Jordan Crossing -

In the Bible, the Jordan river has a major spiritual component. Many key events occurred in or around the Jordan including John baptizing Jesus. Water itself is symbolic for rebirth. Baptism means rebirth. It signifies the end of one life and the start of another. The river is not only a divide of land but also a marker of change.

Originally, in Numbers 13 and 14, Moses and the Israelites were supposed to enter Canaan but the people refused after their recon team said fighting was a no go since the Canaanites were giants and made them (Israelites) look like little grasshoppers in comparison (Numbers 13:31-33.) They were overcome by fear and didn't believe God would take care of them though they were fresh from the whole Egypt experience.

Fear, ranging from discomfort to paralysis, can make us want to stay where we are comfortable even if we are merely enduring life. Well, at least it's familiar.

The refusal to cross into Canaan resulted in the awkward 40 years wandering in the wilderness. The new generation was given a second chance, however.

A quick review of Joshua 3:

The Israelites need to cross the raging river, because, God said so. They were to enter the land of milk and honey and defeat the people living there. God promised the Israelites a victory over the inhabitants no matter how big and scary they might be. The torch of leadership was passed to Joshua who then gave orders to the people and the priests to prepare for crossing over. The priests entered the rushing water first, literally stepping out in faith. Once the priests' feet were in the river, they were committed. And then a miracle occured. The river stopped. The whole nation would cross.

The priests held their ground, with the Ark, until all their people were to the other side.

The priests had a great, mature faith. They knew God intimately. They trusted Him because they had a relationship with Him that started long before the river lay before them. Because of this they could pack away fear, confident that He would part the water. They were willing to commit because they believed God's promise was more powerful than the river and the Caananites on the other side. "Your faith has to be stronger than your fear, " to quote our pastor.

At the river's edge is where faith is tested and decisions are made about the future. The choices - step forward, stay where you are, or go back to where you were.

My Mini Jordan - AKA Bronchitis and a recliner:
About one year ago I was caring for my son who had bronchitis and consequently caught his virus a few days later. Because of our asthma our lungs get hit hard. I was sleeping throughout the day and night in a recliner so I could be in a seated position to breathe. My breathing was shallow and I felt very weak. I was so weak I didn't know how I would be able to get up. But, my son needed his medicine and my husband couldn't be home to give that dose. The thought of closing the foot rest to stand up seemed impossible.

I felt overwhelmed. I closed my eyes and said a quick prayer. "Lord help me." It was more of a declaration of desperation than an actual request.

Although my words were half-hearted, God was about to make a point. I intended to spend about a minute mustering up some courage before starting the climb-out-of-the-recliner process. But, as soon as, and I mean immediately after that rhetorical prayer, in one motion my legs pushed down the foot rest with great power and I stood up tall. As you might imagine, I stood there in shock for some incalculable moment of probably several seconds, give or take. It's hard to know. But, then I thought, "Well, don't just stand there go get the medicine!" I didn't need to marinate in it for goodness sake. I did, however, need to get my feet moving.

My faith grew up a little that day.

Yet, I still resist God. I have been putting off writing this post for about three months because of fear. Full of doubt, I didn't see how it was important. How ridiculous. How do I know what may help someone to read at a given time? I don't know but He does. What I do know is that I am supposed to write when something is put on my heart. Despite my discomfort I am finally stepping into the water with this post.

What choices and challenges lie in front of you?

Some of us are going to plot out our lives with little to no thought of God's plans. "I got this thank you very much. Don't worry, I'll let you know if I need anything." Others have arrived at a point where they consider braving God's will, His perfect plan, that allows walking in His favor.

"Lord, I am willing to go wherever you want to take me. Whatever road you choose God, I'm there!" 
"Wait, what? Oh oh, yeeaahhh... Uh... Sorry, but that doesn't realllly work for me."  

The compromise: "But, I'm still willing to live how you choose! What else you got?"

Sometimes we shake off God's call out of disinterest. Often it is out of fear. What if you really want to move ahead with your calling, your dreams, but fear is standing in the way....?

Have No Fear

I love Joshua 1:9, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Initially, I didn't notice the verse was in reference to the Jordan crossing. We discover that in the short chapter of Joshua 1, it is written four times to be strong and courageous - because He keeps His promises. 


Joshua 1 -

“Moses my servant is dead. Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them—to the Israelites... No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you.

Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them.

Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

13 “Remember the command that Moses the servant of the Lord gave you after he said, ‘The Lord your God will give you rest by giving you this land.’

16 Then they answered Joshua, “Whatever you have commanded us we will do, and wherever you send us we will go.17 Just as we fully obeyed Moses, so we will obey you. Only may the Lord your God be with you as he was with Moses.18 Whoever rebels against your word and does not obey it, whatever you may command them, will be put to death. Only be strong and courageous!


He is saying, in essence, He will clear the path no matter how impossible it seems. "As I was with Moses, so I will be with you. Be strong and courageous." I sent you a leader to rescue you from slavery and take you out of Egypt. I parted the Red Sea and destroyed your pursuers. I gave you another leader to guide you.  "Be strong and courageous." I created heaven and earth. I set the sun in the sky. Is anything too difficult for Me?  I protect and provide for you over and over. I will never leave you nor forsake you." I keep My promises.

Don't you remember? "Be strong and courageous!"

In my own life the same is true: Have no fear, didn't I tell you? Yet there is doubt. Why are you having trouble believing that I will help you? Follow me and I will handle the obstacles. The path may not be painless but I will provide for you and strengthen you. I lifted your whole body and stood you to your feet when you had nothing left. Imagine what can happen while you are already standing. And, if you fall, I will pick you up again and again and again.

Don't you remember...? 

"Be strong and courageous!"

Our role
We are all asked to carry a vision and take a walk into the scary waters towards the next chapter of life. The Jordan River crossing is largely symbolic of obstacles and overcoming them. It separated one phase of life from the next. Although the Lord wants us to look to Him for guidance all the time, there are barriers that are simply impossible without a supernatural helping hand. It makes it so much easier when we already have a relationship that builds trust so that we can recognize that still small voice and have courage and faith to move forward.


I don't want to stay in the wilderness, only going halfway on the road of life. I pray that I will continue to draw on the past for the courage to press on because He has proven that He will go before me and clear the way. Moving past fear - it IS possible. Despite obstacles and inherent struggles, a promise awaits. I want everyone to have the courage to go all in.

Israelites refuse to cross: (Numbers 13-14)

Actual Jordan crossing: (Joshua 3-4)

Be strong and courageous
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=joshua%201&version=NIV

2 comments:

  1. Bueller....Bueller..... Frye.....Frye.... I love this. I especially love what you present with this: "At the river's edge is where faith is tested and decisions are made about the future. The choices - step forward, stay where you are, or go back to where you were."

    We face a "river's edge" so often in our lives, some are major and obvious rivers....others are little puddle sized small rivers, but we can still experience fear and reluctance to step forward no matter how "small" a river or situation may be, don't you think?

    I love this, and your writing, Dana! Keep on posting!!!


    ReplyDelete

This is a blog not a debate. Please be nice!